Oldham Athletic boss Dino Maamria didn’t hold back after watching his side suffer a heavy 3-0 home defeat to Accrington Stanley on Tuesday night in the EFL Trophy.
Maamria gave a host of players a chance to impress but saw the League One side run out easy winners.
Oldham also finished the game with ten men after Dylan Fage’s red card just before half-time.
John Coleman’s team took the lead at Boundary Park through a fine strike from Sadou Diallo before Offrande Zanzala doubled the lead from the spot.
Fage was then sent off for a late tackle before Jordan Clark scored a lovely goal in the closing stages to seal the victory and leave the Latics boss frustrated with the referee and his team’s performance.
Maamria was critical of referee Ben Toners display but much to the relief of many Oldham fans he was also brutally honest about the limitations of the squad he took over from outgoing boss Laurent Banide last month.
Talking to the club’s official website the former Stevenage boss said: I’ve got to say some of the lads gave everything they’ve got like Christopher Missilou, Mohamad Sylla and I thought that the back four worked really hard as well, Tomas Egert got through 90 minutes, but I didn’t really want him to play 90 minutes.
‘But, then I look at the other side of it I think some of the lads played are just not at the level that I need them to be and that’s something to find out, so it’s going to be very difficult because we’ve got no depth in the squad whatsoever.’
‘We’re crying out for a forward, and we’ve got no forwards, yeah we’ve got young Kielen Adams and Scott Wilson who tries, but it’s quite difficult because you come in and you try to work on certain things.’
‘But the more I’m finding out about the squad players obviously, the more reality for me to see how I’m going to go on until January with those players to try and pick up as many wins as we can.’
‘I’ve got to be honest; I’ve told them that in the dressing room and I’m saying it now in front of everybody that’s not the winning level that I require and I’m going to change things.’
It was an honest assessment that struck a chord with many Latics fans when they took to social media to comment. Indeed, many have been saying the same thing for several months although some cast doubts whether such honest talking about the club’s previous recruitment policy will get him anything but the sack from controversial owner Abdallah Lemsagam.
Here is a selection of responses on Twitter by Oldham fans to Maamria’s latest comments.
brutal and honest, i respect that
— Kyle Crossley (@kylecrossleyyy) October 8, 2019
— Steve Rippin (@steve_rippin) October 9, 2019
We don't need or even expect to recruit the best players at this level. What we expect is 11 players to put 90 minutes of solid effort in every single week. Much rather watch that than players with 'talent' but don't bother putting it in #oafc
— Liam (@OAFCLiam) October 9, 2019
Mmm – he could be soon gone – good to hear though!
— peter howard (@sleepysilvery) October 9, 2019
Well thank **** for that! A bit of honesty, Dino saying exactly what the entire fan base has said since the players stepped foot off the plane from that 18-30s week in Acapulco (or wherever it was). Abysmal squad bar 5 or 6 #oafc
— Gino Petrillo (@petrillog89) October 8, 2019
This club is an embarrassment to Oldham!
— Philip Blyden (@blydo123) October 9, 2019
@SkyBet #requestabet #oafc manager Dino Maamria has recently criticised the quality of the squad & suggested that whoever was in charge of recruitment over the summer made an absolute dogs dinner of it – what odds on him being sacked by #abdallahout before the end of October pls?
— Judas Pissed (@JudasPissed) October 9, 2019