Carlisle United’s Holdings Board have issued a statement regarding the future of Owen Moxon on the club’s official website.
Moxon was Carlisle’s Player of the Year last season and is a vital asset to the Cumbrian club currently. After a breakout year in League Two last season, where he would help the Blues to promotion to League One, there has been some transfer speculation following his performances which also earned him a spot in the League Two Team of the Season.
Sky Sports News reported on Monday that Blackpool had put in a £250,000 bid for the 25-year-old which had been swiftly turned down by Carlisle. Manager Paul Simpson had very clearly stated that the midfielder was not for sale and a statement issued by the club’s Holdings Board echoed what had been previously said by the manager.
Who is Owen Moxon?
Moxon would join the Cumbrian side last season on a free transfer from Scottish side Annan Athletic. The midfielder, who was once in Carlisle’s youth academy spent seven seasons north of the border, also appearing for Gretna 2008 and Queen of the South during that time. A return to Carlisle would bring the best out of the 25-year-old, where he enjoyed a breakout season in English football. Moxon registered six goals and 16 assists in the League Two campaign last season and was instrumental in Carlisle’s promotion to the third tier. He will once again be looking to play an integral part in Paul Simpson’s team in the forthcoming year in what will be the club’s first season in League One for nine years.
What’s been said?
Carlisle’s Holdings Board today issued the following statement regarding the speculation:
“We are aware of the media reports of a transfer offer being made for midfielder Owen Moxon.
“We can confirm that we have received an offer and that it was turned down. The ‘leaking’ of a confidential offer, and its terms, is unwelcome and clearly designed to unsettle the player, fans and the club.
“We can confirm that Owen has one year left on his current contract and is not for sale. We see Owen Moxon as part of the future at the club.
“We had already been in talks with him and his agent about a new long-term deal with Carlisle United and had made a contract offer with that in mind prior to the bid coming in.
“We are hopeful that a new deal for an extended contract can still be reached with Owen, to keep him at Brunton Park beyond this season. We will continue to support manager Paul Simpson in getting a deal done.
“We hope this puts an end to the speculation and that we can all now focus on an exciting season ahead in League One.”
Following the report on Monday that Blackpool had a bid turned down for Moxon, this a statement which Blues fans will welcome with open arms. The transfer speculation very much needed to be put to bed and with less than two weeks until the start of the League One season, both Carlisle and Moxon will want to be fully focused on the job at hand.