Sunderland Learn Outcome Of Latest Transfer Pursuit

Sunderland are set for disappointment in their bid to bring Manchester United winger Amad Diallo back to the Stadium of Light for a second loan spell, according to sporting director Kristjaan Speakman.

The 21-year-old spent last season at the Black Cats and enjoyed a stellar campaign. He hit 13 goals in 37 Championship appearances, culminating in him winning the club’s Young Player of the Year award. His form also saw him nominated for the same accolade in the end of season EFL awards, although he lost out to Bristol City’s Alex Scott.

The Ivory Coast international made it clear that he was hoping to break into the Red Devils’ first team this season, although he suffered a serious knee injury during pre-season which kept him out of action until the end of last year. He made his comeback as a second half substitute in the 2-1 defeat against Nottingham Forest in December.

Amad has not featured for Erik ten Hag’s side since, with illness ruling him out of recent games. However, rumours of another temporary spell away from Old Trafford have been rife throughout the month.

His potential availability has attracted a host of potential suitors, including the likes of Crystal Palace and Everton. There’s been interest from the Championship too, with Leicester City, Southampton and Middlesbrough all previously thought to be keen. The former Atalanta youngster has always maintained that he would not feature for another second tier club unless a return to Sunderland was on the cards.

The Wearsiders are indeed keen and have made their stance known to the 20-time English champions. It looks as if he is set to remain in the North West though, with Speakman confirming that there had been a dialogue between the two clubs. Via Manchester Evening Newsthe sporting director said:

“In the transfer window, there’s loads of things that are never going to happen that happen, and there’s loads of things that don’t happen that you think might happen.

“That’s just the market we live in. The situation with Amad is really clear. We’ve got a really positive relationship with the boy and his people, we’ve got a really positive relationship with Manchester United and I think everyone was really delighted on all sides with what happened last season. Do we think he’s a player that could come and improve our team? Yes. Have we inquired about him? Yes. Have we kept in contact? Of course we have.

“If we hadn’t kept in contact about him, my head might be on a stake at the beach. That’s where it’s at. If that picture changes in any shape or form, then we’ll be on it and we’ll understand where it sits. That doesn’t mean that even if he became available we would get him though, because as I’ve said on numerous occasions, I think he’s a tier one player so he’s probably going to be play in one of the top leagues somewhere.”

Amad will be hoping to feature this weekend when Manchester United travel to League Two’s Newport County on Sunday. Sunderland meanwhile need a win over Stoke City to put themselves back in play-off contention whilst also easing the pressure on manager Michael Beale.

Writer’s View

We revealed back in November that Sunderland were set to miss out on a reunion with their former player and Manchester United’s stance hasn’t changed. Amad is a hugely talented footballer and looks set for a huge future in the game. He has made no secret of the fact he wishes to achieve that at Old Trafford.

Sunderland are set for a big few days and will be keen to bring some new faces through the door before the transfer window closes next week. They will need to focus their efforts elsewhere though, with supporters starting to become increasingly frustrated at the lack of incomings at the Stadium of Light.

1 of 16

Can you name this Argentine former World Cup star?

 

Podcasts

About Jamie Ward 439 Articles
Head of Writing

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.