Bolton Wanderers Boss Responds To Player Exit Rumours

Bolton Wanderers manager Ian Evatt has laughed off suggestions linking his players to big-money exits this month, according to quotes supplied by The Bolton News.

The Trotters currently occupy the final automatic promotion spot in League One as they look to return to the Championship after a five-year absence. They have taken advantage of Portsmouth’s recent blip in form and they now sit just two points behind the pacesetters, having played a game less than their league rivals.

Success brings the inevitable transfer links, especially from clubs in the division higher who are looking to the third tier for potential gems to bolster their squads. This month is no different, and talisman Dion Charles is reportedly attracting interest from a host of Championship teams.

The 28-year-old was subject to a summer of speculation linking him with an exit from the Toughsheet Community Stadium, but Bolton swept to secure their asset by tying the star down to a new three-year deal last August. Despite that, Hull City, Preston North End and Swansea City are amongst the teams that have been touted as a potential destination this month.

Tigers’ boss Liam Rosenior addressed the rumours earlier this week, claiming he was happy with his attacking options at the MKM Stadium, whilst Swansea have now appointed Luke Williams as their new Head Coach which has drawn the inevitable link to Notts County striker Macauley Langstaff.

Bolton boss Evatt remains relaxed about the situation, admitting some of the figures quoted have ‘given him a giggle’, following reports that up to £5 million could be offered for Charles’ services. Speaking ahead of tomorrow’s FA Cup third round clash with Luton Town, the 42-year-old said:

“Nothing is happening as we speak but I have had a little giggle about some of the names and valuations.

“People tell me it! There was one the other day, Lewis (Duckmanton) who I travel in with said her mum was in a panic because she thought we were selling Dion to Preston.

“It is great to hear but I am really relaxed, we are in a really strong position.

“The reason we are always proactive with contracts is one, to be fair to the players and give them the reward their performances deserve, but two, to protect this football club.”

Bolton are next back in league action weekend when they host relegation-threatened Cheltenham Town, but also have an opportunity to progress to the quarter final of the EFL Trophy on Wednesday in the short trip to Accrington Stanley.

Writer’s View

Charles will undoubtedly garner more interest from the Championship this month, although Evatt is right to laugh off the valuations that have been quoted. Bolton do hold the upper hand after tying the striker down to fresh terms last summer, but it is incredibly unlikely that would receive anywhere near £5 million for his services.

The Northern Ireland international is likely to stay put this month and try his hand at the second tier next season, assuming that the Trotters do achieve promotion.

1 of 12

Which Italian is this from the Mexico 86 album?

 

 

Podcasts

About Jamie Ward 455 Articles
Head of Writing

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.